As the warmer weather approaches and we shed our winter layers, it’s time to get excited about Spring Cleaning! Spring signifies the rebirth and renewal of nature, as well as an end to those slush puddles. While Spring Cleaning is often thought of as dusting your living space and scrubbing your fridge, we can reframe our expectations of this wonderful time of year.
Read below to discover simple spring cleaning tips for true health & balance.
Declutter, Organize, & Donate
Not only will getting rid of clutter in your closet and pantry renew your energy, it’s a great way to give back. Take a look at your closet – anything (gently used, of course) that you haven’t worn in the past year is fair game to donate. In your pantry, restock your shelves with kitchen staples, and stop by your local soup kitchen to donate any unexpired goods.
Reevaluate Your Goals
How have you been doing on your New Years Resolutions? Spring is a great time to revisit the commitments you made on January 1st. Grab a buddy and take that class, start that job hunt, or plan that trip you’ve been wanting to take. Make a mental note of the things that may have gotten in the way these past few months and get started!
If you’re having trouble overcoming a bad habit, letting go of a fear, or making a big life change, hypnosis can help.
Take Care of Your Body
Winter is the time for big sweaters, sweatpants, and blankets. Not only is fresh produce harder to come by in the winter, but the weather makes it harder for us to want to get up and out. Renew your energy by stocking your fridge with fresh, whole foods and getting outside to enjoy the warmer weather. Take the dog for a walk, do yoga in the park, or just read a book under a shady tree. (Here are some of my favorite books for transformation.)
Open the Windows
There’s nothing worse than a stuffy, dry living space. Open your windows and let the fresh spring air reinvigorate your senses. Grab some fresh flowers from outside and bring the season in.
Get a Reiki Session (or hypnosis or reflexology)
Spring is a great time to get centered. Schedule a session to invigorate your mental energy, stimulate your body’s natural ability to heal, and transition into this new season.
Learn Something New
If you’re looking for an empowering, easy way to take care of yourself, the next Reiki I class starts Tuesday, May 3rd. Read more about what you’ll discover in this Beginner’s Guide to Reiki Training.
Take Your Time
Finally, be gentle with yourself and allow yourself the space to enjoy this transformative time of year. Surround yourself with positive people, experiences, and goals to boost your creative energy.
Interested in learning Reiki? Here’s a handy beginner’s guide, which includes everything you need to know to be informed and get started:
Can anyone learn Reiki?
I get asked this question a lot and I can relate: I really wasn’t sure when I signed up for my first Reiki class years ago. The short answer is yes, each of us has a natural healing ability. Sometimes people feel overwhelmed or worried by this, while others aren’t sure where to start. Taking classes offers a structure and foundation to build on this ability.
There are 3 levels of Reiki training: beginning, intermediate, and advanced (or Reiki I, II, and III). Learning Reiki is a deeper experience than receiving a Reiki session because it allows you to take your healing into your own hands (literally) with a daily mindfulness practice.
What are the benefits of taking a Reiki class?
When you take a Reiki Level I class, you’ll learn about the 5 Reiki precepts, or principles to live by. These principles offer advice and a path to help us let go of anger and worry, to be true to ourselves, and to show compassion.
We can understand this advice intellectually, but learning Reiki offers us a way to go beyond this and embody the precepts through the hands on healing, meditation techniques, symbols and mantras (learned in Reiki II), and attunements. Imagine the benefits you would experience if you were less angry and fearful, and felt calmer and more centered, no matter what stress you encountered in your life.
But can’t I just learn Reiki online?
While technology has its benefits, learning Reiki at an in-person training offers many things you can’t experience online such as:
• Practicing giving Reiki sessions with the supervision and feedback of the teacher and fellow students.
• Giving Reiki during an in-person class allows for physical touch, which helps you trust that that the energy is flowing. For most students, this trust often develops over time with practice.
• Receiving attunements in person (vs. online) can be reassuring to our linear mind. Students are more or less sensitive to energy, and having the physical presence of the teacher in front of them during this spiritual blessing often sets the mind at ease that something is happening.
Read more about the benefits (especially if you’re considering offering Reiki professionally).
How can I find a qualified Reiki teacher?
There are many different types of Reiki classes available, and you want to find the right one for you. Questions to consider as you’re looking for a qualified teacher include:
- How long was the teacher’s own training and how long has s/he been teaching?
- Do they have a daily Reiki self care and meditation practice?
- How long is the class and is certification available?
- Does the teacher offer ongoing support through practice nights and advanced training?
Read more to find out how to find a qualified teacher and make an informed decision that’s right for you.
How can Reiki impact every aspect of your life?
My daily Reiki practice has improved my life in so many different ways (and it continues to!). Over time here’s what I noticed:
- positive changes in a chronic health condition
- the ability to let go of a negative relationship pattern in my dating life
- more clarity around how to make a career transition
- the ability to better handle my finances
- better time management
- an increase in my creativity as a writer
Read on to find out more about my personal journey with Reiki, as well as one student’s feedback on what she noticed in her own life, and open up to some possibilities of how Reiki can transform your own life in a positive and powerful way.
Want to gain insight from past Reiki students? Here’s more about learning Reiki from the student’s perspective:
A yoga teacher and busy mom of three discovered that less is more when it comes to Reiki.
And another student connected to her own inner wisdom after learning to give herself a daily 10-minute Reiki treatment.
Find out how learning Reiki helped one student deal with a break up.
The practice of Reiki helped another student manage her ego (no easy task!).
Ok, I signed up for my first Reiki class, what should I do to set my expectations?
Here are the elements that are usually covered in a Reiki Level 1 class:
- Discuss what is Reiki and the history of Reiki
- Receive 4 attunements, or spiritual blessings (also known as Reiju)
- Learn a Reiki self-care protocol
- Discuss the Reiki precepts, or principles to live by
- Discover Reiki meditations to focus the mind and center yourself
- Learn a Reiki chair protocol to use with friends and family
To get the most out of your class, have an open mind and commit to practicing the Reiki self care protocol for a minimum of 21 days. Notice any little changes such as how you sleep, how you feel when you wake, your energy levels, and your ability to focus and respond to stressful situations.
Want more? Here’s a bonus:
Here’s a Pinterest board I created all about learning Reiki.
Best of luck as you begin your Reiki journey, and here’s a tip from my first Reiki teacher. She always used to say: “Your hands are smarter than your head!” Wise words….
Gift Ideas for Health and Wellness
Here are some of my favorite gift ideas for health and wellness for the holidays–this list includes things I’m getting for my family and friends so hopefully they won’t read this!
1. A gift certificate: Give the gift of balance and relaxation with a Reiki, Reflexology, and/or Hypnosis gift certificate.
3. 2016 Create Your Shining Year workbook & calendar: These are filled with dozens of pages of powerful worksheets & a printable calendar (I like the e-book version) to help create an inspired and shining new year.
4. Hypnosis Recordings: Here’s an extended list of hypnosis downloads for a range of issues. While not as personalized as an in-person hypnosis session, I like their recordings a lot, and bought one for my Dad to help improve his golf game. Talk about a unique gift idea! 🙂
5. The 5-Minute Journal: Feeling grateful once a day has been proven to raise your happiness set point, lower stress and boost immune function. It’s an easy way to let go of negative thinking in under 5 minutes, and has become one of my favorite ways to start the day. I’m buying this for my Mom and sis.